Latin Name: Vanessa Atalanta
Size: The wingspan of the Red Admiral is approximately 60-70mm.
Habitat: The Red Admiral lives in gardens, hedgerows, orchards, woodlands and meadows.
Food: They eat nectar, fermenting fruit such as apples, plums and pears, brambles, buddleia and nettles.
Distribution: The Red Admiral can be found throughout the UK.
Months Seen: This butterfly can be seen between May and October.
Did You Know?
- Females lay one egg at a time leaving up to a dozen under nettle leaves.
- Red Admiral butterflies migrate from Southern Europe and Northern Africa.
- The Red Admiral caterpillar is yellowish brown to black with a row of yellow spots on each side. It has short black spines and has white speckles on it.
- Red Admirals will migrate South in the summer.
- These butterflies can spend Winter as sleeping adults but in order to survive they need a warmer climate.
- Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly Latin Name: Aglais urticae Description: The Small Tortoiseshell butterfly is...
- What Is A Butterfly? A butterfly is an insect. They have 6 legs....
- Wall Brown Butterfly Latin Name: Lasiommata megera Description: The Wall Brown butterfly has...
- Speckled Wood Butterfly Speckled Wood Butterfly Latin Name: Parage aegeria. Description: The speckled wood...
- Peacock Butterfly Latin Name: Inachis io Description: Peacock butterflies have 4 large...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.