Latin Name: Aglais urticae
Description: The Small Tortoiseshell butterfly is bright orange with a black border and blue spots around the edge of the wings. The forewing has 3 rectangular black patches and the hindwings have black on them aswell. The underside of the wings are a black and brown colouring with a row of faint blue spots near the edge.
Size: The Small Tortoiseshell has a wingspan of approximately 45-60mm.
Habitat: This butterfly lives in gardens, parks, meadows, woodlands, grasslands, farms and country lanes.
Food: The Small Tortoiseshell butterfly feeds on nectar from flowering plants such as the buddleia, daisies, thistles, ragwort and dandelion. The caterpillar feeds on stinging nettles.
Distribution: The Small Tortoiseshell butterfly can be found throughout the UK.
Months Seen: This species of butterfly can be seen from March to October.
Did You Know?
- The Small Tortoiseshell caterpillar is a black or brown colour with branching spines and yellow bands on eachside of it’s body.
- The adult butterfly sleeps in sheds and houses during the Winter.
- Eggs from the caterpillar are laid on the stinging nettle.
- Speckled Wood Butterfly Speckled Wood Butterfly Latin Name: Parage aegeria. Description: The speckled wood...
- Wall Brown Butterfly Latin Name: Lasiommata megera Description: The Wall Brown butterfly has...
- Red Admiral Butterfly Latin Name: Vanessa Atalanta Description: The Red Admiral is a...
- Small White / Cabbage White Butterfly Latin Name: Pieris rapae Description: The Small White butterfly has...
- Peacock Butterfly Latin Name: Inachis io Description: Peacock butterflies have 4 large...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.