With the summer season upon us, treat the whole family to freshly made home-baked loaves for picnics and barbeques.
Spelt, Honey and Macadamia Bread
Ingredients for one loaf (500g)
- 250g spelt wholemeal flour
- 160ml cool water
- 7g fresh yeast (buy from local bakers, supermarkets with fresh bakery section or health food stores)
- 5g salt
- 7.5g honey
- 90g macadamia nuts
- 5ml vegetable oil
- Mix the cool water, fresh yeast and honey together in a bowl.
- Add the spelt flour and salt and begin kneading, adding a little water if it seems dry.
- Towards the end of the kneading add the vegetable oil.
- When the oil is properly incorporated, add the Macadamia nuts.
- Leave to stand for approximately 1 hour in a warm, draft free place.
- Cover and give them a short time on a floured board.
- To shape for the baking tin: flatten, fold the ends over each other in the centre and then roll up for the tin.
- Leave to stand in the tin for approximately 45 minutes.
- Bake in an oven that is duller than hot because the crust will darken with the natural honey sugars: 200°C for 25 minutes.
Macadamia nuts are also high is beneficial monounsaturated fats which are proven to help reduce bad cholesterol levels as well as being a good source of protein and fibre. Further information and research about the health benefits of Macadamia nuts is available from the Macadamia Advice Centre website at www.macadamias.org.uk or by calling the helpline for more information on 020 7436 8800.
Do you have any good bread recipes or recipes using macadamia nuts that you would like to share?