I bought a rhubarb plant a few years ago and until last year I had kept it in a container. Last year I decided to plant it in the vegetable garden, near the orchard. I kept it covered over during the Winter and then I forced it earlier this year following tips from Top Veg. The plant has produced some long sticks of rhubarb which we have been harvesting in the last week.
We have stewed the rhubarb and then served it with custard. A hearty dessert, heartliy recommended!
- Sticks of rhubarb – 2-4 long sticks serves two people.
- A little water.
- Sugar – to taste.
- Custard – homemade custard tastes fabulous but a tin or packet of custard is quick and easy to use.
- Cut the sticks of rhubarb off the plant.
- Cut off the leaf from the stem.
- Wash the rhubarb.
- Slice the rhubarb into small pieces.
- Place the rhubarb slices into a pan with a little water.
- Simmer in the pan, until the rhubarb is soft.
- Add sugar to taste.
- Serve with custard.
A simple, hearty dessert which my husband says is just delicious! Heartily recommended!