Bread is a food product which is very popular in this country. It’s basic ingredients are flour, salt, sugar, water and yeast.
It is an important part of a healthy diet because it contains many important nutrients.
- Carbohydrate – which provides energy.
- Fibre – which helps us to digest our food.
- Calcium – which is essential for healthy teeth and bones.
- Iron – essential for the formation of red blood cells.
- Protein – needed for building and repairing body cells.
- B-Vitamins – which provide muscular energy.
If whole grain flour is used to make bread, the calcium, iron and B-vitamins content is naturally sourced from the wheat grain.
If the bread is made from white flour then the outside of the wheat grain is removed and the calcium, iron and B-vitamins found in this outer layer are lost but the bread manufacturer adds them back in.