- Cheese is made from milk.
- It takes about 1 litre of milk to make 100 grams of cheese.
- The nutritional value varies according to whether the cheese is made from whole milk or from skimmed milk.
The Nutritional Value Of Cheese Made From Whole Milk (Cheddar)
- Fat – high fat content.
- Protein – high quality and good source of protein (protein content = a quarter).
- Minerals – a rich source of calcium and a good source of sodium and phosphorus.
- Vitamins – a good source of vitamins A, B group and D.
- Water – about one third water content.
- Energy value – very high.
The Nutritional Value Of Cheese Made From Skimmed Milk (Cottage Cheese)
- Fat – very little.
- Protein – about one fifth high quality protein.
- Minerals – high in sodium but less calcium.
- Vitamins – some of the vitamin B group but very little vitamin A and D.
- Water – over two thirds water content.
- Energy value – low.