I received a couple of tips if your chicks have splayed legs that I thought would be useful to share.
- “Its my opinion from many years of hatching, that getting the splayed (spraddled) legged chick on 1/8 inch wire as soon as possible will correct most chicks with this defect. Keith”
- “My wife has cured splayed legs in quail and chicken by tying the legs together with soft yarn. Like a pair of handcuffs a loop arond each leg just above the feet then joined in the middle. Tie the legs so they are parallel to each other.Not an easy task, but worth the effort. We have had good results after only five days. The sooner you do this after the hatch the quicker the result. Trevor”
- “Easiest thing to use is elastoplast. The normal finger ones with the lint in the centre are best. Just trim into thin strips and shorten a bit then apply between the hock and the feet. The centre lint is just the right length. You should only need to leave this on for a couple of days. Sallie” http://farmingfriends.com/splayed-legs-in-guinea-fowl-keets/
- “If the method from poultryhelp.com is used to correct this problem using bandaids, rubber bands or pipe cleaners as a type of brace, the splayed legged chick should be quarantined to prevent other healthy chicks from pecking the brace. Keith”
- “Always make sure new chicks have a non slip surface to stand on. Newspaper is too slippery. Towelling is ideal. Trevor” http://farmingfriends.com/litter-suitable-for-brooders/
- “Splayed legs are typically caused by staying a little too long in the egg at hatching although other incubation problems can cause this to occur. Keith”
If you keep poultry or are interested in keeping poultry then visit the farmingfriends forum for the latest chat.
Incubation At Home By Michael Roberts
Stock Available: 10
Incubation: A Guide To Hatching And Rearing By Katie Thear
Stock Available: 12
If you would like to receive regular information about poultry then why not sign up to the farmingfriends newsletter.
- Splayed Legs In Quail Splayed legs are when a chicks legs are not in...
- Splayed Legs In Quail Cured Sara, one of the farmingfriends visitors, contacted me for advice...
- Splayed Legs In Guinea Fowl Keets Splayed legs are when a guinea fowl keets legs are...
- Worming Peafowl I have been asked about worming peafowl. hiya, its me...
- Tips On Rearing Partridges I received an email asking for tips on raising partridges....
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.