I received an email asking for tips on raising partridges.
Hey I have recently hatched some partridge and after 2 days on the brooder that is homemade they have started to die. I have no idea why, they all started feeding and drinking once put in the brooder. they just seem to lack strength. do you have any tips to raising partridge from a day old? I have done ducks and pheasants before and they were all successful in to adulthood.
I had a partridge chick placed in my guinea fowl keet brooder by my father-in-law when I was at work. http://www.farmingfriends.com/theres-an-impostor-in-the-brooder/ The brooder had carpet on the floor so that the chick and keets didn’t get splayed legs. I fed them chick crumbs and gave them shredded lettuce. I placed marbles in the drinker so that the chicks could still have a drink but wouldn’t fall into the water.
I would avoid sawdust/shavings on the floor to begin with as the chicks can often peck the shavings mistaking them for food.
I think that the best litter for the floor is corrugated cardboard with straw on the top.
I hope you find this information useful, if you have any specific questions then let me know. I look forward to hearing more about your partridge.
Sara @ farmingfriends
Here is a book about Modern Partridge Farming:
Modern Partridge Farming By Chris Hodgson
Stock Available: 5
If you keep partridges or are thinking of keeping partridges then join the free farmingfriends game birds forum for the latest chat, advice and questions about partridges and game bird related issues.
If you would like to receive regular information about poultry then why not sign up to the farmingfriends newsletter.
- Rearing Day Old Partridges I received an email about rearing day old partridges Rearing...
- Rearing Pheasant And Partridge Chicks I received a comment asking about rearing pheasant and partridge...
- Hatching Partridge Eggs English Partridge are game birds and their eggs take about...
- Advice About Incubating Chukar Partridge Eggs I have been asked for advice about incubating chukar partridge...
- Tips If You Have Splayed Legged Chicks I received a couple of tips if your chicks have...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.