My hens have recently started to eat the duck eggs that are laid in the early morning before 8am. My hens and ducks are kept in the smae hut but I don’t want the hens to eat the duck eggs so I have been looking at tips to stop egg eating.
- Gather eggs more frequently or earlier.
- Make nest boxes as dark as possible.
- Fill empty egg shells with mustard. They do not like the taste of the mustard.
- Use coloured stones or pebbles to discourage egg eating. The hens will peck at them and when they can’t break them they will ignore the real eggs.
- Give hens pleanty of oyster shell and green vegetables.
- Feed mash instead of pellets as the hens fulfil their intake more quickly on pellets and therefore have more time for bad habits!
- Trim the birds beaks.
Egg eating can be a difficult habit to break once it has started, so if you have any tips please let me know what has worked for you.
If you keep hens or are interested in keeping hens then visit the farmingfriends hen forum for the latest chat about hens and then check out the books shown below about keeping hens which are informative and excellent for the beginner and a handy reference for the more experienced hens keeper.
Chickens At Home By Michael Roberts
Stock Available: 7
Starting With Chickens By Katie Thear
Stock Available: 5
Poultry & Waterfowl Problems By Michael Roberts
Stock Available: 1
If you would like to receive regular information about poultry then why not sign up to the farmingfriends newsletter.
- Why Do Hens Eat Eggs? I am often asked why hens eat their eggs. Egg...
- Fencing Hens To Protect Against Foxes My friend Trisha from Birdtablenews has sent me a message...
- Reasons Why Guinea Fowl Hens May Not Lay Eggs Or Stop Laying Eggs There are many reasons why guinea fowl hens may stop...
- A Tip To Stop Poultry Tipping Up Their Feeders I have received a chicken feeder tip from Anthony Marriott...
- Fox Takes Friends Hens My friend Trisha from Bird Table News emailed to say...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.