- Sausages are minced meat encased in a skin.
- Vegetarian sausages are also available without any meat ingredients included.
- They come in different flavours, textures and sizes.
- They are made from a mixture of ingredients.
- The ingredients are put into a casing or skin to give them their sausage shape.
- The filling of a sausage usually contains meat, breadcrumbs, starch and flour to bind the ingredients together.
- Sausages may also have flavourings like herbs, spices, fruit or vegetables added to enhance the flavour or help to preserve them for longer.
- There are many different types of sausages which can be classified into fresh sausages, cooked sausages and dry sausages.
- Some sausages are skinless – they have been made with a skin and then once cooled, the skin has been removed.
Did you know? – The word sausage comes from the Old French word saussiche and the Latin word salsus, meaning salted.