What is your favourite chicken breed?
Chickens and hens are kept for many reasons:
- They lay eggs.
- Provide meat.
- As pets.
- For company.
- Their plummage.
- Their disposition and character.
My favourite breed is the leghorn as I kept a white leghorn for 5 years. She was called Hatty and she had a brilliant personality. She ruled the roost over the guinea fowl, cats and me! She laid white eggs which were delicious.
I recently asked what is your favourite chicken breed on twitter and I got a good response:
- White Leghorn
- White Sussex
- Lavender Pekin
- La Fleche
- Cream Legbar
- Buff Orpingtons
- C Blacktails
- Jersey Giants
If you keep hens or are interested in keeping hens then visit the farmingfriends hen forum for the latest chat about hens and then check out the books shown below about keeping hens which are informative and excellent for the beginner and a handy reference for the more experienced hens keeper.
Chickens At Home By Michael Roberts
Stock Available: 7
Starting With Chickens By Katie Thear
Stock Available: 5
If you would like to receive regular information about poultry then why not sign up to the farmingfriends newsletter.
- Which Chicken Breeds For Meat I was asked today which chicken breeds are kept for...
- Cayuga Duck Breed I have a cayuga drake so have been reading up...
- Parts Of A Chicken Here is a photograph of the labelled body parts of...
- Naked Neck Turkens Or Cou Nu Chickens I had never heard of the naked neck turken or...
- Chicken Vet Website On my farmingfriends forum when the members need to take...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.