To be eligible for pedigree registration, a saddleback pig must have the following characteristics:
- be black with an unbroken white saddle or band of white hair covering the front legs and up over the shoulders.
- the pig (male or female) must have a minimum of 12 good and evenly spaced teats.
- the pig can have a white tip on it’s tail but this is not necessary.
- the pig can have a white nose but this is not necessary.
- the pig can have white hind legs up to the hock but this is not a necessity.
A useful book for a new pig keeper and breeder is the book Starting With Pigs by Andy Case.
[eshop_show_product id=’4144′ class=’hilite’ panels=’yes’ form=’yes’]
If you keep pigs or are thinking of keeping pigs then join the free farmingfriends pig forum for the latest chat, advice and questions about pigs and pig related issues.
If you would like to receive regular information about pigs then why not sign up to the farmingfriends newsletter.