World egg day was celebrated on the 12th October this year (2007) and will be 10th October in 2008. “World Egg Day is a unique day when countries around the world celebrate eggs and promote egg consumption.” Think Eggs
Although I missed the actual day I would like to celebrate world egg day now by giving a round up of egg facts from farmingfriends.
- Hatty, my white leghorn hen lays eggs with white shells and this year she has laid 101 eggs.
- The guinea fowl egg count between the end of February and the end of September is 725 eggs collected. Please note that this is the number of eggs I have collected and not the total number of eggs laid by the guinea hens.this is because the magpies circle the farm everyday and collect any guinea eggs I can not find. Eggs stolen by the magpies = +350 and 2 pot eggs!
- You can eat guinea fowl eggs.
- Avocado and Egg Mayonnaise is a fabulous starter if you have an abundance of eggs.
- Cooking with eggs is great as they are a very versatile ingredient which have many different uses and can be prepared in many different ways.
- Eggs contain many nutrients.
- Check out your knowledge of egg facts by having a go at the ‘eggcellent’ crossword all about eggs!
- Meet Emily Egg on the downloadable farm produce colouring sheet and learn about where eggs come from.
How did you celebrate world egg day?